Modifying a project
Jump ahead to:
Renaming a project
To change the name of a project, go to the project and click the “Project Settings” link in the upper right corner.
You can rename the project under the Project name header:
Here's how the whole process looks:
While you can move project items around within your Basecamp account, it’s not possible to transfer data between different Basecamp Classic accounts, or to merge multiple accounts. This is to protect the security of your data. It means people can’t ‘steal’ projects, and lock them away in another account.
Your best bet is to copy and paste the important data from your old account into the one you want to keep. We’d love to be able to offer this kind of feature, but projects can only remain in the account where they were created.
And while migrating projects is totally options, it *is* possible to move your projects from Classic to Basecamp 2: Moving from Basecamp Classic to Basecamp 2. Once you move projects to Basecamp 2, you can move it to your Basecamp 3 account: Moving from Basecamp 2 to Basecamp 3.
We highly encourage you to reach out to the support team if you have any questions about migrating projects!
While it’s not possible to create sub-projects in Basecamp, there’s a friendly workaround that allows you to group different sets of projects together! You can create a new company and make it the “primary company” for the various projects you’d like to group together. Here’s how this works in video format first:
And the instructions written out:
- Go to your People tab and click on the link to Add a new company
- Instead of adding a company name, type in your area or category or department. For instance, you can create a company called “Finance” or “Legal.”
Don’t add any users to this company.
- Now go into a project that falls under that category, "Legal," and click on the People & Permissions tab.
- Click the Add people, remove people, change permissions link to add the "Legal" company you just created to the project. Choose the company you just created and add it to the project.
- Now you’ll want to make this company the primary company for this project. To do this, click the “Project Settings” link in the upper right of the screen.
- Go to the section that says, “Select the primary company for this project” and choose the company you just created.
When you do this, you’ll see the projects listed in your sidebar like this:
This method lets you group your projects under an umbrella label and access them easily in one location.
NOTE: People in companies you add to your system cannot be admins. They won’t have the same rights and privileges as admins in the primary company, nor will they see To-Dos or Calendar tabs on their Dashboard.